Electrical Networks in Kuwait
( Historical Development )
Kuwait is, at present, covered by vast electric power networks system consisting of overhead lines and underground cables in addition to the primary, secondary and distribution transformer stations which ensure power supply to every consumer.
The electrical networks of different voltages play a vital and key role in the transmission and distribution of electrical power to various consumers, residential, industrial, commercial or agricultural. The expansion of these networks has been in line with the rapid growth of the power generation sector, Electrical Networks have, practically extended over the entire country with power supply connected to every consumer irrespective of location or size. Furthermore, work is continuously under way to strengthen and reinforce the different electrical networks to meet the additional loads resulting from the change in consumption patterns as well as from catering for new consumers.
The following is a brief summary of the electrical networks expansion:
In 1934, electrical networks started using + 200 V (Direct Current) O/H lines with copper conductors on wooden poles. In 1949, the network voltage was changed to 220/380 V 50 Hz (A.C) after the expansion of the National Electricity Company Service.
Upon the transfer of the company to Government ownership in 1951 and the erection of Shuwaikh P/Station (A), the network voltage was raised from 380 V to 11 KV to extend the ranges of the network to satisfy the growing electrical load as a result of the increase in the number of consumers. Also 11 KV/415 V sub-stations were constructed with the 11 KV underground cables and overhead lines needed to feed them. Still 11 KV network was unable to transmit power to remote areas. So in 1958, a 33 KV transmission network was added comprising 33 KV O/H lines, underground cables and 33 / 11 KV sub-stations in town and Salmiya. Upon the erection of P/Station (C) in 1961 – 62, the 33 KV transmission network was expanded with additional 33 / 11 KV sub-station erected in Town, Hawally and Al-Jahra.
In 1964 when work was underway for the erection of Shuaiba North P/S there was a need to raise the voltage to 132 KV. Consequently, the Ministry Constructed the first 132 KV transmission line from Kuwait City to Shuaiba and the 5th ring road 132 / 33 KV sub-station was constructed to transmit power to Shuaiba and Fahaheel. Expansion and reinforcement of 132 KV network continued after Shuaiba North P/S was completed (1965-69) in order to connect Shuaiba South P/S (1970-74) and then Doha West P/S (1977-81). The 132 KV network served to transmit power in bulk to the major 132/33 KV and 132/11 KV sub-stations constructed in the main load centers in the country (Expansion in 33 KV networks was curtailed).
With the continued growth of electrical demand and the corresponding increase in the generating capacity, the 132 KV transmission network reached is economic and technical limit. So it was decided to introduce a new 300 KV transmission network to link the Power Station with the 300/132 KV sub-stations which will constitute major supply centers in various areas. By now the 300 KV network main structure has been completed and put into operation linking Power Station with 300 KV sub-station in Jabriya, Salmiya, Omariya, Fintas, Shuaiba, 5th and 6th ring roads Shuwaikh and Surrah South, Town, Sabah Al-Salem, Sulabiya and Al-Jahra.
Reference : Statistical Year Book 2010 - Electrical Energy - Ministry of Electricity & Water